After looking at how the model was printed on the sprue, I cut the parts apart. The model comes in four main parts with the wheels, body, mast (the upright part) and forks printed on a common sprue. The model is complete as printed, but as they say, what you get is a starting point for what you want.
Modifications included shaving off the propane tank on the rear deck and cutting the forks off the frame (both vertical and horizontal) and setting them at the outer limit of the fork frame. After looking at the stock fork spacing and looking at photos, the wider spacing seemed more appropriate.
The upper tweezers hold the mast. The mast requires some assembly. The forks and mast lift cylinder are printed as separate parts, and must be added. The tweezers were very helpful as a holding clamp. The lower tweezers have the mast lift cylinder assembly. The stock part is just the cylinder, but I added a length of 0.5 mm rod to the bottom end so the cylinder could lift the mast higher. I have prototype photos. I know this is esoteric modeling, but I pay attention to how things work. Little details, even if not consciously registered, enhance the scene. The pages under the plate are the internet-gathered documentation for the project: about a half-dozen sheets of forklift photos and drawings. The model itself comes with nada. But the kit is pretty much self-explanatory.
I noticed that many logging machines had ‘claws’ to keep logs sliding off the forks. I hadn’t originally planned on this modification, but decided it was worth the effort, as it would help set the scene. I made the claws out of 0.010″ wire, and used 0.5 mm rod for the hinge rod. The curves in the claws were formed by bending the wire around a hobby knife handle. The prototype claws are elliptical sections rather than circular, but I figured the wire would spring back enough to get a good section.
Claw assembly complete. I considered modeling the claws open, but the work was fiddly enough that I went with two points of contact. After mounting the mast to the body, the only other details were the exhaust stack and wheels, but they could wait. The next stop was Paint.
Everything shot with Rustoleum Grey primer. Photos of Boss forklifts showed they used Black wheels, which was fine with me. Craft store acrylic Black (which is pretty flat) took care of that. The body and mast were a bit tougher. I prefer rattle can colors, because they are usually widely available, but the color I wanted wasn’t available, so I went with Tamiya TS-34 Camel Yellow, which is yellower than any camel I’ve seen. I overbrushed the model with a couple of coats of craft Saffron Yellow, which was the color I wanted, but the coverage was terrible on the primered model.
Color coat, along with Silver on the exposed hydraulic pistons, and Black on the cylinders. I represented the fork lift chain with 6/0 Black thread stiffened with CA. The fork guides on the mast were dry-brushed with Black. This is as good as the model will look, because Weathering is next.
From photos and inspection I noticed the primary color on outdoor-use forklifts appeared to be Rust. The rear bumper and forks especially did not appear to retain paint long. I have a bottle of Model Master acrylic Rust, but haven’t mastered it’s application. On the other hand, it’s hard to overdo mill forklift weathering. My concern is making applied Rust look more organic than something painted on.
Because the paint is acrylic, water comes in handy. I started with full-strength paint on the rear, mast, and forks, then smudged it with brush-applied water, and blotted it a bit. It’s a work in progress. I brushed very thin Rust on the whole model, then went to the pastels.
A light coat of White with a fan brush, then Raw Umber and Burnt Sienna brushed on with emphasis on the lower body.
After Weathering I attached the wheels and exhaust stack. Forklifts are rear-steering, and the model allows for positioning of the rear wheels at angle. There are rods protruding from the rear wheel wells, and if you cut them to appropriate length you can show turning wheels, an option I did not choose.
So now Wheeler – Osgood can unload timber flats. I had expected to leave the project here, but it doesn’t look right. And it doesn’t look right because it’s a stretch to believe the forklift can reach the top of the load on the flatcar. I noticed this during the build, and considered 0.040″ and 0.060″ styrene for a pad. Some work to do here.
Some One Else Running Trains
A railroad bonanza on 15 May:
On the way to work, a Portland & Western train bringing empties from the Stinson mill through Hillsboro. They must have cleared the facility, as this train went on for a while. It felt like 40 -50 cars, and most trains on this branch run 10 – 20 cars.
Catching up the train heading East on TV Highway (OR 8, but no one calls it that).
The power, taken at 50 mph in morning traffic. It looks like an SD-45 on point, but the roster says 3053 is an SD-40-2 downgraded from an SD-45R. The unit does not have a name. I didn’t get a good look at the trailing unit (aviate, navigate, communicate), but could be GP-39-2’s 2303 or 2311, both of which wear ATSF ‘yellowbonnet’ livery.
Later in the day in Kalama, WA. Columbia river behind the equipment, Oregon in the background. Shot from a gas station downtown. I hadn’t seen the BN ‘Executive’ scheme in quite a while. Kalama is a port on the Columbia river, and has a large timber and grain export business. There was switching going on at the elevators and ships anchored in the roads, but, work.